Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Monday, October 17, 2005

Newspapers for Family History

The family and I went to a 100th birthday celebration for Grandma, Great-Grandma, Great-Great Grandma this Sunday in southern Wisconsin. (What a beautful drive, gorgeous weather with all of the fall leaves changing color and the sunshine and almost full moon for a backdrop!) The local paper had a half page write-up about her accomplishment, her life, her family and her thoughts with a very naturally posed photo of her that was wonderful.

It reminded me of all of the great family history "tidbits" I've found in newspapers over the years when I've had the time, ability or the indices to help me track down the migrating families on the move through several states. A photo of a Great-grandfather, for example, because he was a firefighter in Madison,(one of only two photos that I have of him), or a listing of the names and where all of the relatives lived that had come to town for an anniversary dinner celebration. And, of course, my personal favorites, the long detailed obituaries of the small town papers, that gave such richness to the life of an ancestor that I have never met but now felt that I knew because of the article and what was said by others about this person!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home