Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Veterans in the Midwest?

On a stroll through the small cemetery near my Dad's place in Burnett, Wisconsin over the weekend, my youngest son found a War of 1812 veteran's stone, marker and flag fluttering in the brisk wind of a hot day. (Yes, I'm grateful that all of my children like to help search for tombstones of ancestors, distant cousins, and new stories!) I was amazed! I've seen plenty of Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War markers but I can't remember ever seeing a War of 1812 stone in Wisconsin before.
It got me to wondering- are there any Revolutionary soldiers buried in the area? Since they may have received bounty land "out west" for their efforts, there could be some. How many? Are veterans of the Black Hawk War also recognized?
Share your knowledge and let's learn more together about the great Midwest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home