Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Celebrating heritage

I went to Irish Fest, a local celebration of the Irish heritage, here in the Twin Cities over the weekend. I usually also go to an ethnic weekend celebration at the Renaissance Festival, like the Highland Fling celebrating Scottish heritage, at the end of summer as well. Each time I marvel at the richness of the contributions of the specific culture and social traditions that are still strong here, even after generations of living here in the Midwest. Many people come dressed in native costume, some more authentic than others, and ethnic food is also sold for all of us to enjoy.

Music is crucial to both festivals and I enjoy the bagpipes quite a bit myself and have instructed my children that I would like bagpipes played on a nearby hill at my gravesite ceremony, when the time comes. Many vendors and even genealogists and family and clan historians make their appearances at booths and tables at both events. Many volunteer their time to help those interested and who have questions. One can also view the artist contributions with ethnic symbols and themes for sale as well at both events.

I think we should raise our children to be proud of their varied and strong heritages, and should allow them to hear the music, taste the food and see the dance and demonstrations that are available locally whenever possible. Celebrate our past and whom who come from !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home