Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Privacy laws

It has always been my understanding that privacy laws in the U.S. protected one and their personal information, such as census data and so forth, for 72 years; hence we can only look at the 1930 U.S. federal census today, but we will be able to see the 1940 federal census returns in 2012. (That's only six and a half years away and I already have a few key items that I need that census for, in order to verify genealogical theories.)

Today in my website searches for Michigan data, I ran across the Genesse County site that allows one to search the vital records index easily enough, but it claims to have marriage records from 1963. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid with all of the identity theft reports that been publicized recently, but wouldn't it be fairly easy to establish a new identity with this recent information available online? Just type in a few names ? Order a few key documents?

What are the parameters of the privacy laws in this arena?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home