Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Does Size Matter?

As I researched and added eighty new names to my Jung/Pilger descendents database with primary documentation this weekend, I remembered teaching a genealogy class a few years ago when a student and an acquaintance of mine kept asking about how many names were in my database and of my fellow presenter, like the number was a quantitative means of assessing whether or not he should take us seriously. Does size matter in this situation?

My plea has always been for ACCURACY, not quantity, in genealogical work. I do have a lot of names through decades of research and so do many other dedicated researchers. Thousands of linked names are very possible utilizing current technology. I have to say that the pedigrees and lack of documentation that I keep seeing in the "One World Tree" entries just make me cringe! George Eastman has been writing about the recent flood of false pedigrees online and how to sort through the "good" and the "bad", which is important counsel at all times.

The best would be to have a large, accurate database as a means to demonstrate your own skill as a genealogist. Success in the search!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home