Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ohio Name Index

Another online index is the Ohio Name Index, with over 88,000 entries covering the time frame of 1796-1850. The site is at: http://libraryworld.net/cgi-bin/opac.pl?command=clear. Females, as well as male names are included, with the bulk of the entries from school directories and city directories. As I checked on my McMillen line, which spends a fair amount of time on Ohio before emigrating to Wisconsin, I didn't find my ancestors but a doctor and some school girls showed up, substantiating the claim.

The site could be especially helpful to gather children's names from families before the 1850 census listing everyone individually by name in the household, and to track children who often died at young ages, if they attended school.

1 Comments:

Blogger Everbely said...

I'd love to see this Ohio Name Index but it seems that I need to know the name of a library to access it? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but i can't see it.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home